Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Meatless Monday on Tuesday

I read an article recently in a magazine (I don't remember which one...) about Meatless Monday. It's a movement to motivate Americans to go meatless one day a week- Monday- in an effort to promote better personal health and the health of the planet. Hmmmmm..... OK, maybe I can sneak in a dinner on my bunch that is meatless. This will be a challenge since I live with 3 t-rexes. My family has been known to grill a bunch of meat and just eat THAT for dinner and be totally happy. What can I cook that will be fabulous AND as satisfying as MEAT? Then, it comes to me, portobello burgers. YES! Portobello burgers! Portobello mushroom caps are thick and beefy. They are great on burgers. I'll just leave off the beef and add some other fabulous stuff. This might work! This might be a good time to tell you that I don't cook on Monday. I just can't. I mean I've just gone back to work after the glorious weekend of being footloose and fancy free to the office for yet another long week of 8 hour days. When I come home all I want to do is put on my pj's, eat junk, watch TV, and dread the week ahead. Cooking is out of the question. So, we had Meatless Monday on Tuesday. The portobello burgers turned out great. They were very satisfying and no one missed the meat. I'm including the recipe below. Also, the Meatless Monday peeps have a great website. Check it out: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Portobello Mushroom Burgers
4 portobello mushroom caps (wiped clean)
4 ciabatta rolls
fresh basil
fresh mozzarella (Don't you dare buy the cheaper slices! Splurge for the FRESH mozzarella. Its ooey gooey melty goodness really really makes this sammy awesome.)
small jar roasted red pepper
small jar pesto (any kind you like. I used sun-dried tomato and garlic.)
2 Tbsp. mayo (Real mayo! Not the low fat, no fat, whatever else is out there.)
1 sliced tomato
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil for those of you who don't know...)

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle the mushroom caps with EVOO on both sides and grill for about 4 minutes on each side. Set aside. Slice the ciabatta rolls in half and place on baking sheet. Spread mayo on tops of rolls and pesto on bottom. I also put a shake of garlic powder on top of the mayo. Place the portobello caps on the roll bottoms. Top with sliced mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and roasted red peppers. Bake with roll tops off but also on the pan for about 6 minutes or until cheese is soft and gooey. When you take them out of the oven, top each burger with a slice of fresh tomato. Finish with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment