Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Definitely La Playa for ALL Things Mexican!

Hello food lovers! Are you Mexican food lovers? Hmmmmm? Have you been to La Playa in Pawleys Island? Im sure most of you have, but IF you have not, you MUST try it. It is so superior to the other Mexican restaurants in our area. Now, I like Habaneros and El Cerro Grande. They are great! But La Playa is really a step above. Their menu is extensive, and not only do they have Mexican food- they have signature dishes from Latin America and the Caribbean. I have been there many times, and I usually order the Arroz con Pollo (loosely translates to chicken & rice). It is yummy! A large plate of Spanish rice with sauteed veggies and big chunks of chicken all topped with melted cheese and garnished with sliced avocado. I highly recommend you try this dish. However, last night I went out on a limb and tried something new- a Grande margarita rather than just the regular. They also have jumbo, but I thought that might be a bit too much. You know, when you drink too much all the food tastes good, and I wanted to be able to give ya'll an honest review. Next time I go I think I'll order a pitcher. Why not? I mean if u CAN order your margaritas by the pitcher then why wouldn't you? Oh yes, you can order pitchers of margaritas at the awesome La Playa. Gotta love that! I did also try a new dish- the Pork Carnitas. Let me just say that I love pork. It is my fave meat. I am truly a Southern Belle. Pork is just the Cadillac of all meats. It's versatile and luscious and fatty and flavorful and yummy! So, I was skeptical that La Playa could impress me, but they did! They brought me a HUGE plate of sliced pork tenderloin that was melt-in-your-mouth tender and had a little crunch on the outer edge where they crisped it in a pan. It was topped with a salsa mexicana which was a light salad made of tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. It was served with Spanish rice and refried beans- the real deal, both. One of my fave elements of the dish was a vinegar-based coleslaw of cabbage, onion, carrot, and celery that was strategically placed right in the middle of the plate so that you could pull it into the beans, or the rice, or the pork, for a fabulous tangy, crunchy extra punch. Home run La Playa! I only have one very minor, teensy, weensy complaint. OK, it's not really a complaint. It's more of a suggestion. Give me some warm tortillas. Oh! If I had had some warm tortillas to wrap that yummy pork in, I would have been in Mexican food heaven! Oh, Dios mio! As a side note, if you are into enchiladas, theirs are like 2 feet long. I'm totally serious. They have the longest enchiladas I've ever seen. Maybe I don't get around much....

No comments:

Post a Comment